Twin Cities Portuguese Language Group

Monday, June 26, 2006

Snug as a bug in a rug = aconchegado

From our lesson about hostels (albergues) this past week, we were unable to figure out one of the adjectives used to distinguish hostels from hotels. The phrase went something like
Albergues são mais simples e aconchegados aconchegantes que hotéis
After some searching on Google, I think I've come up with a reasonable translation for "aconchegar" and its derivitives "aconchegante" and "aconchegado".

Common phrases including this word are "no teu seio aconchegado" and "no teu colo aconchegado". It's also used to describe the best kind of sleep you can get. The word also appears in geographic descriptions such as "é nessa praia qeu o mar se aconchega" in verb form.

The closest I can get is that it means "snug" and the verb aconchegar means "snuggle." I would agree that the combination of a tighter space and homier feel makes a hostel snugger than a hotel.

In fact, upon making sure I spelled "homier" correctly, I ran into Answer.com's Portuguese definition of "homey" as "aconchegante."

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home